Notices and News

SHDC – Don’t Lose Your Chance to Vote in 2021

Don’t lose your voice - residents in the South Hams urged to look out for their voter registration details from South Hams District Council.

Local residents are being warned not to lose their voice on decisions that affect them by making sure their electoral registration details are up to date.

With elections taking place in the South Hams in May 2021, including the postponed Police and Crime Commissioner Election this is an important opportunity for residents to make sure they can take part.

The annual canvass ensures that South Hams District Council can keep the electoral register up to date, identifying any residents who are not registered so that they can be encouraged to do so. They would then be able take part in any future elections.

Steve Mullineaux, Deputy Chief Executive at South Hams District Council, said:

“It’s important that residents keep an eye out for messages from us, so we can make sure we have the right details on the electoral register for every address in South Hams. To make sure you are able to have your say at elections, simply follow the instructions from your local authority.

“If you’re not currently registered, your name will not appear in the messages we send. If you want to register, the easiest way is online at, or we’ll send you information explaining how to do this in the post.”

“This year’s canvass, which we have to carry out by law, is taking place during a challenging public health situation. We are working to ensure that we take account of public health guidelines, including the continued importance of social distancing.”

People who have moved recently are particularly encouraged to look out for the voter registration messages from South Hams and check the details. Research by the Electoral Commission indicates that recent home movers are far less likely to be registered than those who have lived at the same address for a long time. Across Great Britain, 92% of people who have been at their property for more than sixteen years will be registered, compared to 36% of people who have lived at an address for less than one year.

Melanie Davidson, Head of Support and Improvement at the Electoral Commission, said:“It’s really important that everyone who is entitled to vote is able to do so. Making sure you provide the necessary information to your local authority when it is needed will ensure the process runs smoothly. This is particularly helpful in the current public health situation, as it will help avoid the need for home visits from canvassers.

“There’s lots of helpful information about registering to vote on our website”

Any residents who have any questions can contact their local registration team at South Hams District Council via the website


Rogue Tree Surgeons operating in the South Hams

South Hams District Council has received reports of potential rogue traders operating in our area, specifically targeting vulnerable and elderly residents unable to carry out their own tree works.

Several members of the public and their families contacted South Hams Trees team recently, after they were cold-called by traders claiming to be tree surgeons. The traders offered to do garden and tree works for cash, and also advised residents they could legally carry out works to protected trees and provide a certificate to submit to the Council to avoid prosecution.

No such certificate exists – any works to a tree subject to a Tree Preservation Order or in a conservation area require permission beforehand from the Council.

Unauthorised works to protected trees can be punished in some cases by an unlimited fine and a criminal conviction, so homeowners could potentially find themselves in trouble for unauthorised works.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 affords protection to species nesting in trees and it is a criminal offence to disturb them. This can be reported to the police via 999 if the works are in action (contractors are still on-site) or via 101 or the police website if the works have been completed at

Cllr Keith Baldry, Executive Member for the Environment, said: “Unfortunately there are always people who will say anything to anyone to try and extort money from homeowners, and this is another example.

“Always be very wary of anyone who appears on your doorstep offering to do work.

“Remember that anyone who claims to be a qualified, insured tree surgeon will be perfectly happy to provide evidence of their qualifications and their insurance. They also won’t rush you into a decision, or ask for payment in cash without a proper invoice.”

There is lots of information on the South Hams website about protected trees and how residents can apply legally to work on their trees if required. If you are the owner of a protected tree and want more information, please visit

If a tree is dangerous or dead, there is a process for requesting emergency works. Always seek advice from a qualified arborist (tree surgeon). The Council recommends using the Arboricultural Association website to find a qualified, insured tree surgeon if you need one. Visit for more information where you will find a useful checklist including insurance requirements and details on the necessary qualifications.

Cllr Baldry continued, “As usual, these people will have no scruples in targeting vulnerable residents and taking advantage of trusting souls in our community. Please watch out for your families and neighbours. If you have any concerns, please contact the Police on 101 or online for advice.”


Holbeton Parish Council Covid 19 Update 31/05.

The government has recommended further lockdown easing measures from June 1st. Six people from differing households (England only) can meet OUTSIDE maintaining social distancing. This includes gardens. Regular hand washing is required and it is recommended people take their own cups/utensils etc. Visitors should only enter the house if it is the only way to access the garden. Entering the house to use the toilet should be avoided wherever possible (unless it's your house!!). If you do have to use the toilet facilities you should wash your hands before and after doing so. All hard surfaces should be wiped down with an appropriate cleaner before leaving the premises.

It is now a crime to stay at someone else's home overnight, or to hold gatherings of two or more people indoors or more than six people outdoors, under new legislation.

Minimising contact with others is still the best way to prevent transmission. You should also try to avoid seeing people from too many households in quick succession - so that we can avoid the risk of quick transmission from lots of different families and continue to control the virus.

Clinically extremely vulnerable people will be able to go outside with members of their household from Monday, while continuing to follow physical distancing guidelines. Those who live alone can meet outside with one other person from another household while maintaining social distancing. They should not go to the shops etc as before.

The above information is taken from the Prime Minister's statement and press release.

With my public health head on there are some points to consider for our community. This advice is being widely ignored nationally which increases the risk to us all but particularly those in at risk groups ( see previous Post 8 if you are unsure if this applies to you). The contact and trace service is beginning to operate. The criteria are that you will be required to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks if you are identified as having been within one metre of an infected person for a few seconds ( think narrow paths to the beach) or within 2 metres for more than 15 minutes. This gives an indication of how infectious coronavirus is. As stated above minimising contact is the best way to avoid being in this situation. There is also evidence that people are beginning to ignore the isolate advice if they have symptoms , this advice remains as stated in previous posts.

Holbeton Parish Council. Update to Post 8.

On 19/05 the government updated its coronavirus symptom list as follows.

The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
  • a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal


To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital if you have any of these symptoms. Stay at home. Everyone over the age of 5 years is now entitled to a coronavirus test ( the swabs are not effective in under 5's). The Stay at Home guidance for people with symptoms is here. You can book a test here.  You need to arrange a test within 3 days of developing symptoms as it needs to be completed by day 5.

Planned Church Hill Development. Reference:0868/20/ARM

Verto Homes have re-submitted plans for the above site to include 14 dwellings, provision of community car park, allotment gardens, access and associated works including access, layout, scale appearance and landscaping (Resubmission of 0127/19/ARM)

Site Address:Development Site at SX 612 502 North Of Church Hill Holbeton

The above application has been received, comments to be made by 5 June 2020. 

Comments can be submitted on the website or by letter . At the time of writing it is not possible to view the plans at Follaton House.

The plans can be accessed on the District Council website using the reference above or using the link below

Holbeton Parish Council – Coronavirus – Post 8

Some of this is a duplication of previous posts which is to ensure the relevant previous information remains easily accessible.

It is tempting to think we live in a ' safe bubble' in the Parish. It is worth remembering the excess deaths in the South West region are 2800 an increase of 38% in addition to those that have sadly actually been identified as dying from coronavirus.

The government advice on isolating yourself and family if you show symptoms and advice on isolating/shielding is on the link below. You still need to follow this advice and lockdown will only continue to be eased if people do follow it. Do not leave home if you or someone you live with has a high temperature or a new continuous cough.

Individuals who have been identified as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable should continue to shield until advised it is safe not to do so. Advice will be updated close to the end of the 12 week shielding period. People who are deemed to be at moderate risk should continue to follow the social isolation advice.

People at moderate risk from coronavirus includes people who have ONE of the following. If you are affected by more than one of these factors then your risk level will increase.

  • are 70 or older
  • are pregnant
  • have a lung condition that's not severe (such as asthma, COPD, emphysema or bronchitis)
  • have heart disease (such as heart failure)
  • have diabetes
  • have chronic kidney disease
  • have liver disease (such as hepatitis)
  • have a condition affecting the brain or nerves (such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis or cerebral palsy)
  • have a condition that means they have a high risk of getting infections
  • are taking medicine that can affect the immune system (such as low doses of steroids)
  • are very obese (a BMI of 40 or above)

The Stay Alert advice is as follows.

Stay alert

We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:

  • stay at home as much as possible
  • work from home if you can
  • limit contact with other people
  • keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • wash your hands regularly

Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.

Advice for businesses on strategies for reopening are available on the following link.

The link below is the the government advice site for employees with information about entitlements etc. This is clearly evolving quickly but the site should be updated frequently.

The Money Saving Expert website is a good source of advice on benefits, potential help for the self employed and salary and rental protection schemes.

Devon County Council and South Hams District Council have advice pages on their websites.

The Citizens Advice Service is continuing to work but only offers advice remotely. You can contact them in the following ways.

Adviceline 03444 111 444 (Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm)

Email: From the ‘Contact us’ page select ‘Email’ and click ‘Use our online form’

WhatsApp 07497 758779

Letter: Citizens Advice, Follaton House, Plymouth Road, Totnes TQ9 5NE

Hotline for Council Help Available

16 April 2020

South Hams and West Devon Councils are offering a hotline number for residents needing help and support during the Coronavirus outbreak.

The number, which will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, will be answered by the Community Co-ordination Team at the Council. Outside of these hours an answerphone service will be available.

The team can help people with a wide range of queries, such as where to get additional help and support, as well as putting residents in touch with their nearest community support group.

The hotline is intended for people who can’t access the information and support available through the council’s websites or social media.

The Community Support number in South Hams is 01803 861297.

An answerphone service is available outside of working hours.

If family carers become ill the following organisations may be able to assist:

Care Direct                            0345 155 1007

Social Services                      0345 600 0388

Disability Information Service  0345 155 1005

Following government advice the Parish Council is reopening the community orchard but not the BBQ area. The bike track will also reopen. Please observe social distancing here and if there is evidence of groups of non related children using it we will have to reclose. Please take care as gates etc are still an area where there is a potential risk of transmission. Carrying hand sanitiser is our new normal.The play park is to remain closed because of the risk of transmission on hard surfaces. All these areas are not to be used by dogs. As ever dog fouling remains a source of complaints. Dog faeces should be picked up and disposed of with the 30mph limits. Outside of these it is up to the discretion of the owner. The areas identified as particular problems are around Gibb, the lane up to the sportsfield and down to the Point. There are apparently issues in theses areas with owners (as I'm assuming no dog is able)  bagging poo and leaving it by the side of the road. Sue Sturton at Brownswell Farm has offered to let owners dispose of dog bags in her grey bin. Many thanks to her. Both roads are widely used by children who are most at risk from disease in dog faeces. Dogs should always be on a lead on the public highway..fines £100-£1000.

The Mothecombe Beach Car Park is reopening with contactless payments. The Enforcement team have issued multiple tickets for the road alongside and they will continue to visit so please park legally. Being outside is believed to reduce the risk of transmission. It does not eliminate the risk. Please observe social distancing when accessing and using the beach. Businesses offering takeaway food should have a risk assessment in place to reduce risks to staff and customers.

If you believe that you might need support from the parish  community  please contact Cllr Andrew Hollett, details below. If you have neighbours or friends who may not be accessing this site but you feel they may benefit please ask them to contact Andrew or give permission for you to do so.

If you are willing to be a Community Volunteer to help with the above or be willing to make regular phone contact to someone to ease the isolation please contact Cllr Trudie Timlin Brown also details below.

Cllr Andrew Hollett. Tel. 830361

Cllr Trudie  Timlin Brown   Tel  830683

As mentioned in our previous post we are aware that the level of media coverage can make this situation feel overwhelming and frightening leading to anxiety in people. If you are concerned or don't understand some of the terms in the media or advice sites

Cllr Baumer (Retired Consultant) and Di Baumer ( Retired Public Health Nurse) have kindly offered to give telephone or email advice. They can be contacted as detailed below. This is NOT an alternative to receiving individual advice from your GP or Specialist Medical Care Team. It is part of our broader community response.

Dr H. Baumer Tel.830274

Di Baumer Tel. 830274

The Parish Council would like to thank the Village Stores for their sterling efforts to support the community over the last 8 weeks.  Holbeton Village Stores already delivers milk and will be happy to deliver vegetable boxes/bags and other goods.. Please discuss with Jack Purkis. 830246 or

 The Stores can also deliver plants and compost particularly useful for those who are shielding or are at moderate risk.

To protect the shop staff it is safer to order a delivery. If you go into use the Post Office please follow the guidelines posted on the door  about accessing the premises.

We have been liaising with Ivybridge Food Bank about providing support for those in need. The Parish Council  have been issued with a supply of vouchers.  If you need to access the food bank for food parcels please contact Mark Sims 07771 818358  Mark can also collect parcels for those who are shielding/isolating themselves. Food banks are really struggling as people prioritise themselves. If you are able to donate food  locally it will be much appreciated. Cllr Baldry has posted a list of foodstuffs needed on the Holbeton Facebook page. Financial donations can be made online to the Ivybridge Foodbank 

Prescription Collection Service.

We have some volunteers who have agreed to collect prescriptions from those who are isolating or are unable to for other reasons. Cllr Baumer has kindly agreed to support this service.

Bel Dixon 07803608418.mailto:roughbel@hotmail.comand Laura Kirkland  07815917519  will collect from Yealm Medical Centre

Sue Howard 01752830644 or 07909 888 739; or Gina Hay 01752 830516 or 07880720580   will collect from Modbury H.C.

For those who have a laptop or mobile phone they can be an invaluable way of maintaining contact with family and friends, locally, nationally or internationally. Many of us have them but are unsure of how to use these features to for example make video calls so we can chat for example with grandchildren. Jack Purkis has kindly offered to help anyone who would like to set up a What's app group on an android mobile phone. Zoom is great for family get togethers quizzes etc. but if you are not tech savvy get advice on keeping yourself safe on line.  Pete Stevens can assist with setting up Skype on laptops, and What's App/Facetime on phones Tel :830780 Andrew Hollett can also offer help in this area if needed. There are  also advice/tutorials on You Tube that are easy to follow.

The Royal Horticultural Society website is full of information and advice for all levels of gardener including sections for beginners and those that want a wildlife friendly garden.  The National Trust website also has recipes from their houses and tea rooms, podcasts and gardening advice.    Holbeton Herbie gives gardening tips in the village newsletter.

For parents of babies and young children health visiting advice can be accessed by NHS Chat Health.   

The Emerging Minds website has advice on managing coronavirus related anxiety in children.

As children are spending more time online there has been an increase in reports of grooming and exploitation and cyber bullying . Parents can access advice on online safety from and amongst others.

The website has over 100 free online courses.  Audible is a download service/app for £7.99 a month that lets you access audio books.

Devon Communities Together are hosting weekly Zoom meetings for over 55's who would like a chat with other people. Telephone

01392 248919 for more information.

 Recycling centres are opening. The information below is from DCC.

The government has given clarification this week which means that we'll be reopening most of our Household Waste Recycling Centres on Monday 11 May, but only for essential use.By 'essential use' they mean waste that cannot be stored at home without causing a risk of injury or harm to your health.If it’s waste that can be disposed of legally and responsibly in some other way, for example your weekly kerbside collections, please do that.There'll be restrictions at the recycling centres including the size of vehicles coming in, and social distancing, and unfortunately our staff won't be able to help with the lifting of bags.  We're also expecting it to be busy, so if it can wait, please do.  We’re also asking you to not queue on the roads. If you see a queue, please come back another time.

The Parish Council has been exploring virtual council  meetings with varying degrees of success!! No definite decision has yet been made.

Many thanks to all the people who have volunteered, it is much appreciated . Can I also thank my fellow councillors for all they are doing.

We are keen for this information to be circulated as widely as possible so if you can pass the links on or print it off and give to neighbours that would find it useful.


As a result of the latest Government advice on Covid-19, Holbeton Parish Council is cancelling all meetings from 23 March 2020 until further notice.

This advisory note details the Parish Council decisions and business carried out in the week ending Friday 17 April 2020.

All public meetings have been cancelled, but Parish Councillors are continuing to work to the best of their ability to help and support parishioners in whatever ways they can.
The parish council have produced 6 posts, which can be viewed on the website –
The Parish Councillors would like to express their sincere thanks, to all those who have come forward to volunteer.