The new wildflower area opposite the Reading Rooms, is now ready to sow with cornfield annuals and a butterfly and bee mix, with yellow rattle to help suppress grasses (it may already have been sown).
The first books for the parish environmental library have been bought second hand or donated:
- A Life on Our Planet: My Witness Statement and a Vision for the Future, David Attenborough
- A sting in the tale, Dave Goulson
- Bringing Back The Beaver, Derek Gow
- The garden jungle, Dave Goulson*
- Nature Cure, Richard Mabey
- Plants with a purpose, Richard Mabey
- Food for Free, Richard Mabey
- Flora Britannica, Richard Mabey
- Feral, George Monbiot
- Hope in Hell: A decade to confront the climate emergency, Jonathon Porritt
- No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference, Greta Thunberg
- Holloway, Robert MacFarlane
- The Lost Words, Robert MacFarlane
- The old ways, Robert MacFarlane
- The wild places, Robert MacFarlane
- Landmarks, Robert MacFarlane
- Underland, Robert MacFarlane
- The Shepherd's Life, James Rebanks
- English Pastoral, James Rebanks
- Rewild Yourself Pa, Simon Barnes
- The Living Mountain, Nan Shepherd
- There Is No Planet B: A Handbook for the Make or Break Years, Mike Berners-Lee
- The Well Gardened Mind: Rediscovering Nature in the Modern World, Sue Stuart-Smith
- Discovering Hedgerows, David Streeter & Rosamund Richardson
- Wilding, Isabella Tree
*this is a practical guide to re-wilding your garden and complements the tip of the month.
These will ultimately be housed in the Reading Rooms for loan, free to parishioners. Meantime I am holding these books ready to be borrowed. Do get in touch and I will get your choice(s) to you!
We are supporting the Holbeton Cricket Club in their bid to use solar power instead of Calor gas for brewing teas in the pavilion at Flete.
A carbon footprint tool for parishes, developed by two groups at Exeter and Bristol universities, has now been launched, and is free to use. Do have a look (https://impact-tool.org.uk/).
Please let me know (contact details below) of any sightings of early purple orchids in April and May along the roadside in the Parish. We are collecting all the known locations to help ensure they are not disturbed.
Holbeton Climate Change and Eco Group Facebook Page is the place to share ideas and tips for making our parish a greener place! Please do join in and share your thoughts and ideas.
JOIN the Holbeton Climate Change Forum! This is an informal group interested in projects and ideas to support the environment. Members can suggest projects and also volunteer to be part of initiatives. It is open to everyone of whatever age. If you are interested in being part of the forum please contact email@example.com.
To find our Environmental Action Plan, simply Google ‘Holbeton Parish Council’, access the Climate Emergency page, scroll down and open the pdf file called “Action Plan v3”.
Look out for the Environmental Tip of the Month, this month on ‘give pollinators a chance and let your lawn grow!’
Harry Baumer, 830274, firstname.lastname@example.org